Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Rum Diary Movie


                          Rum Diary Trailer

When I saw the movie, I had many different emotions during its course. At firs the movie presented Puerto Rico as an island of beauty, pleasure and a lot of fun. During this part I was proud of the good things that were pronounced from Puerto Rico but during the course of the movie I became mad because I saw so many things that are not true about Puerto Rico. The thing that most impacted me was that I felt that the movie was exaggerate the poverty situation because it only presents the places where very rich people lives like the house of the private beach of the editors friend and make see that the rest of the people in Puerto Rico are very poor, living around trash, disorder or dirt. It was something that impacted to the editor too. Something ironic was that the friend of the editor even treated Puertorricans like savages when they tried to go to “his” private beach.

Even that I felt that these themes were exposed in an exaggerated way; it doesn’t mean that the poverty, the fights or the alcohol abuse was absent.

Something that I didn’t like either was that North Americans were always referring to Puertorricans as if we were ignorant and as savages incapables of anything and that they could impose us anything with their cleverness.

Even though I believe that the movie overall defines a personality for Puertorricans that is not far from reality and also includes some of the Puertorrican culturehobbies.


 :)


4 comments:

  1. I agree with you a lot because this movie presents Puerto Rico a way that I don't like it either. When you say "it only presents the places where very rich people lives like the house of the private beach of the editors friend and make see that the rest of the people in Puerto Rico are very poor, living around trash, disorder or dirt" that is exactly what I think. Back then, Puerto Rico may have been poor but that is independent from being messy and reckless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on everything you said about this movie. It didn't portray reality of Puerto Rico to an extent, but there are parts of it which are true just not as exaggerated as they were portrayed. But, we are definitely not savages as they said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about the exaggerations in the movie, but I was thinking it could be that the moment the movie represent is not what we are accustomed to. Also, I think it could be because it is a movie and maybe, exaggerating facts is the best way to attract viewers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we were assigned to watch this movie I was a little frustrated because the reviews I got from my friends were not that good. But I have to say that watching it with this perspective made me realize much of the things that you say here.

    ReplyDelete