Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Reaction to the movie: A room with a view






A room with a view

The movie “A room with a view” is a film from the 1985, that among other things it is most of all a criticism of the woman oppression by that time in England. In one part of the movie, the main character, miss Lucy Honeychurch, makes a trip to Italy with her older cousin and during this trip there are some events that caught my attention because I could relate them to our discussions in class. 

First of all, during the whole trip, Lucy and her cousin, kept surprising themselves everyday because there were too many things that they always though that were some way and by being there they could perceive how different it was from what they imagined. During the class and during the presentations we gave about how is Puerto Rico perceived in the web, some groups mentioned and discussed why it is important not to believe everything you hear about someplace, but to experience it yourself for it to be a real experience and by that you could decide your own opinion about that country. This is because not everyone perceive what is around them in the same way; for example, maybe something that impacted so much Lucy was the man that was wounded in the middle of the street while she was trying to have some fun.

Also, I could noticed that the fact of being in another country than theirs, make them feel a bigger level of libertinage and I could perceive that because in one of the parts a woman says to the other that two women in an unknown place was like an adventure. By saying this, I could see that they were as most tourists; when they go to some place, they just wanted to live an adventure and to have fun and sometimes don’t care about nothing else.    






3 comments:

  1. I like a lot the picture you choose to represent the movie! I also liked the way in which you describe the difference of when someone is talking about a place versus when that someone is there at that new place experiencing it by himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the movie I didn't think it had to do much with tourist vs. traveler ideas, but like you said, I think that they wanted adventures like the typical tourist. They wanted fun, without being caught up with reality. I also agree with you that one can't believe everything it is said about a place you're going until you go and develop an opinion of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the exact opinion as you in the fact that it is not until we experience by ourselves a certain place that we develop a fair judgement of what we see. Most of the time we go around othering places and people without giving it or them the chance to cause a real impression on us.

    ReplyDelete