![]() |
| Down on the island... |
While I read
the helping chapter in Down On The Island of Jim Cooper, I agree with him in a
lot of things about cooperation and competition in education, nonetheless I also
understand his discomfort in the way that we Puerto Ricans confuse cheating
with helping while being educated. The cultural basis of we Puerto Ricans
influence a lot in the way we distinguish between these two ideas and it can be
seen as narrow or broad.
The narrow way
that explains why we Puerto Ricans usually cheat while schooling is that we
tend to be very helpful or cooperative people with each other and this is also
one of the values we are tough while we are little kids. Since we are too
little to understand the limits of helping and helping others makes us feel
good, we try to help our classmates and friends even during an examination
because we want our friends to obtain good grades as we do. In the same way,
when we are the ones who need this help we are expecting to receive this help
too from our classmates.
On the other
hand, the broader way to understand why we Puerto Ricans are so helpful with
each other is that our island is perceived by other countries as a little, weak
and incapable and that enforce Puerto Ricans to be united, to defend each other
and to help each other in everything. This is why for a Puerto Ricans value
cooperation so much.
I think that
during the class it is sometimes necessary to receive the help from our
classmates because everyone learns in a different way and we students tend to
feel more confident to ask questions to our classmates before asking to the
teacher; however, I agree that during the course of the exam, the teachers are
evaluating how much you learned and it will be not effective if the students
are using each ones help instead of being competitive. To learn to help and also
to receive it is an important part of life but we Puerto Ricans should not
confuse this value with the process of learning or evaluation.
This
acknowledgement is what creates such a big difference in what for me is
considered helping and cheating sometimes. Competition between the students
sometimes is a way to induce them to be better each time and not only better
than his classmates but also better himself again and again. Helping by the
other hand is not always a mechanism to cheat. Instead it can be a way in which
students develop different skills, such as working in groups and the division
of responsibilities to complete a certain job or homework assignment. While we
are in the process of learning, it is important to help each other but during
the process of examination, we students should be rivals in a competition and
give our best without helping this time.
In this way, we will always try to be better and learn each time more
independently what knowledge will really help us in the future.
![]() |
| An example of what we should do! |


Good writing here! I do think that we should help each other during the process of learning but, as you said, it does not necessarily means that we have to cheat in order to help enhancing the learning process.
ReplyDeleteNice picture. I wish to know what else to write but I will be sincere with you. I couldn't end up reading what you wrote because of all the Ferrero Rocher images that you have changing on your blog. ha ha ha I just wish to have one right now.
ReplyDelete